Skip to main content

First Quilt Ever Part 3

So after I had everything all cut and placed out, I realized I had no idea on how to attach the bunnies on.  First I pined everything and tried doing a zig zag stitch, but it wasn't working well and looking awful.  I asked a few people I knew about ways to go about it and most of them said to try some double sided webbing or to try iron-on adhesive.  Well, I found some Heat n Bond stuff and decided to give that a whirl.  The first bunny I tried ended up making half of my ironing board all sticky (I then realized maybe I shouldn't have cut out the bunnies yet).  So I ended up having to put wax paper under the bunnies. 
The stuff told me to use medium heat, but it wasn't hot enough to get it to stick so I had to turn it way up. Once it was on the back side of the bunny, I trimmed it, so it wasn't sticking to my iron when I put it on the blocks. It's not trimmed yet in the picture below.
Then I just peeled of the paper and ironed it onto the block.
It made it a little stiff, but it wasn't too bad.  Now my one friend had done it like this before and just used some puffy paint to give it the look of it being sewed on, but this is going to be for my baby and I want it to be attached really well.  I tried to do a basket stitch, but I didn't like how that was looking (and I had to do that all by hand), so I went back and played around with the zig zag stitch again.  The zig zag worked a lot better this time around.  I think the pins were making it too bunchy and too wiggly before.
Of course by the time I'm almost done, my aunt called me and told me another way to attach, but it had a lot more work involved.  She said something about the using the webbing and turning the bunnies 1/8 of an inch in and then sewing around.  I bet that would have looked a lot neater and help with fraying, but the instructions she was giving me made it sound a lot more complicated.  Maybe I'll try that way another time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day Wreath

Now that the Christmas decorations are down, it is time to make some Valentine's Day decorations to put up! I have seen some in the store, but it is much more fun to make your own.  So here is how I made my sweet heart wreath.
First you need a hoop (the one I used had about a 7 in diameter), 7 big wooden hearts, 8 small wooden hearts, paint, glitter, ribbon, and some hot glue. I took all my hearts and painted them a solid color and then went back over them and made some patterns or outlined them. I thought they were looking a little boring so I went back and put some glitter on random ones. Then I went around and hot glued the big ones and tried to make them as evenly spaced as possible. Then I hot glued the smaller ones on top of the bigger hearts, tied some ribbon, and then hung on my door!

Scrapbooking, Melt My Heart

I've got one more rainbow inspired layout to share. This time I played along with Scrap Our Stash. I used the following five items up from the list. 1. Stripe Paper (I may have a rainbow stripe addiction when it comes to paper) 2. Paper Clip (the orange arrow at the top) 3. Wood Veneer (the cute arrow) 4. Flair (I've got two.  The circle heart from Amy Tangerine and the square sunshine from a Freckled Fawn Kit) 5. Enamel Dots (I've got a few green in one corner and a few orange in another)
I used a bunch of pop dots on this layout to keep some of the corners up and to give the clouds some layering.  I kind of forgotten just how handy those little things can be in giving depth to a page. I also decided to keep my journaling hidden since this page has so much going on pattern wise with no good breaks.

Scrapbooking, Sunshine

I love yellow pages.  They always make me so happy.  I made this for SWAT drill 16.  The layout sketch was a fun one to work with.  I stitched the pink cloud and then made another one out of some vellum.  At first the cloud was going to be yellow, but I wanted to make it stand out more so pink it was!  I also used some weird texture board that I had laying around and I misted it up with yellow, orange, and pink. Normally, I make my pages about the event in the picture.  This photo was originally going to tell about my daughter playing in the sprinkler, but it turned out to be more about her expression.  So my journaling was more like a little prayer for my daughter then the normal story telling. The twist for the drill was some twine.  I used it for the button and I also wanted to use it to stitch the cloud, but I only had yellow and blue twine and that wasn't working well.